Student Vote is a parallel election for students under the voting age, coinciding with official election periods. The program combines in-class learning, family dialogue, media consumption and an authentic voting experience.
The purpose is to provide young Canadians with an opportunity to experience the democratic process firsthand and practice the habits of informed and engaged citizenship.
The program aims to achieve the following objectives among students:
- Increase knowledge about the electoral process and government in Canada
- Foster a sense of civic responsibility
- Encourage political dialogue with friends and family
- Heighten interest about politics and public policy
- Practice critical thinking, decision making skills and how to vote
Since 2003, 21 Student Vote parallel elections have been successfully designed and coordinated. These programs have reached over 9,000 schools and more than 3,000,000 students across Canada.