County of Inverness
Full name: Municipality of the County of Inverness
Geographic region: Inverness County
In 2011, County of Inverness had a population of 17,947, representing a percentage change of -5.7% from 2006. This compares to the national average growth of 5.9%.
In 2011, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over in Inverness County was 18.7%, compared with a national percentage of 14.8%. The percentage of the working-age population (15 to 64) was 66.7% and the percentage of children aged 0 to 14 was 14.6%. In comparison, the national percentages were 68.5% for the population aged 15 to 64 and 16.7% for the population aged 0 to 14.
County of Inverness occupies a land area of 3,830.40 square kilometres with a population density of 4.7 persons per square kilometre. This compares to the provincial land area of 52,939.44 square kilometres with a population density of 17.4 persons per square kilometre.
82.1% of the population reported English only as mother tongue, 13.2% reported French only, and 4.7% reported a non-official language only, in 2011. In comparison, the provincial / territorial percentages were 91.8% for English only, 3.4% for French only and 4.1% for only non-official languages.
Voter Turnout (2012): 46.64%
Offices to be elected:
- 6 Councillors (6 Districts)
- Warden is elected by the members of council
Find Your Candidates: www.localdecisions.ca/find_your_candidates
Residential tax rate: 1.02% (2016)
Warden’s salary: $38,278
Councillor’s salary: $24,107
- Strait Regional School Board
- Conseil scolaire acadien provinciale
- Public Works – Water, Recycling, Sewage
- Animal Services
- Recreation – Recreational Courses and Workshops, Cooperative Programs
- Youth – KidSport and Jump Start
- Tourism and Culture – Cultural and Heritage Organizations, Festivals and Events