County of Richmond
Full name: Municipality of the County of Richmond
Geographic region: Richmond County
In 2011, County of Richmond had a population of 9,293, representing a percentage change of -4.6% from 2006. This compares to the national average growth of 5.9%.
In 2011, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over in County of Richmond was 21.5%, compared with a national percentage of 14.8%. The percentage of the working-age population (15 to 64) was 66.0% and the percentage of children aged 0 to 14 was 12.5%. In comparison, the national percentages were 68.5% for the population aged 15 to 64 and 16.7% for the population aged 0 to 14.
County of Richmond occupies a land area of 1,244.24 square kilometres with a population density of 7.5 persons per square kilometre. This compares to the provincial land area of 52,939.44 square kilometres with a population density of 17.4 persons per square kilometre.
64.9% of the population reported English only as mother tongue, 0.3% reported French only, 34.7% reported both English and French and 0.1% reported a non-official language only, in 2011. In comparison, the provincial / territorial percentages were 91.8% for English only, 3.4% for French only and 4.1% for only non-official languages.
Method of Voting: Paper Ballots
Voter Turnout (2012): 76.79%
Offices to be elected:
- 5 Councillors (5 Districts)
- Warden is elected by the members of council
Find Your Candidates: www.localdecisions.ca/find_your_candidates
Total annual expenses: $11,035,356 (2015 Actuals)
Total annual revenues: $10,988,317 (2015 Actuals)
Residential tax rate: 0.78% (2015-16)
- Strait Regional School Board
- Conseil scolaire acadien provinciale
- Public Works – Water utility, Wastewater and Solid Waste Management, Recycling, Infrastructure Maintenance
- Animal Services
- Community Recreation – Active Living, Winter Festival, Richmond County Walking Clubs
- Youth programs – Youth Leadership Development Grants, Jumpstart, After the Bell program