District of Shelburne
Full name: Municipality of the District of Shelburne
Geographic region: Shelburne County
In 2011, District of Shelburne had a population of 4,408, representing a percentage change of -8.7% from 2006. This compares to the national average growth of 5.9%.
In 2011, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over in District of Shelburne was 19%, compared with a national percentage of 14.8%. The percentage of the working-age population (15 to 64) was 68% and the percentage of children aged 0 to 14 was 12%. In comparison, the national percentages were 68.5% for the population aged 15 to 64 and 16.7% for the population aged 0 to 14.
District of Shelburne occupies a land area of 1,818.49 square kilometres with a population density of 2.4 persons per square kilometre. This compares to the provincial land area of 52,939.44 square kilometres with a population density of 17.4 persons per square kilometre.
99.2% of the population reported English only as mother tongue, 0.7% reported French only, and 0.1% reported a non-official language only, in 2011. In comparison, the provincial / territorial percentages were 91.8% for English only, 3.4% for French only and 4.1% for only non-official languages.
Voter Turnout (2012): 46.28%
Offices to be elected:
- 7 Councillors (7 Districts)
- Warden is elected by the members of council
Find Your Candidates: www.localdecisions.ca/find_your_candidates
Total annual expenses: $5,331,049 (2015 Actuals)
Total annual revenues: $ 5,761,982 (2015 Actuals)
Residential tax rate: 1.26% (2015-16)
Conditional transfers from government: $1,372,959
Unconditional transfers from government: $40,085
- Tri-County Regional School Board
- Conseil scolaire acadien provinciale
- Parks and Recreation – Parks and Trails, Active Living, Shelburne County Arena, Community Halls and Fields.
- Sustainable Environment Programs – Municipal Climate Change Action Plan, Beach Stewardship, Coastal Management Strategy.
- Public Works: Snow and Ice Removal and Salting, Property Maintenance and Repair, Sewage Treatment, Solid Waste Management and Recycling.
- Youth – Kids Fair Play FUNd