District of St. Mary’s
Full name: Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s
Geographic region: Guysborough County
In 2011, District of St. Mary’s had a population of 2,354, representing a percentage change of -9.0% from 2006. This compares to the national average growth of 5.9%.
In 2011, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over in District of St. Mary’s was 25.0%, compared with a national percentage of 14.8%. The percentage of the working-age population (15 to 64) was 65.0% and the percentage of children aged 0 to 14 was 11%. In comparison, the national percentages were 68.5% for the population aged 15 to 64 and 16.7% for the population aged 0 to 14.
District of St. Mary’s occupies a land area of 1,909.59 square kilometres with a population density of 1.2 persons per square kilometre. This compares to the provincial land area of 52,939.44 square kilometres with a population density of 17.4 persons per square kilometre.
98.9% of the population reported English only as mother tongue, 0.2% reported French only, and 0.9% reported a non-official language only, in 2011. In comparison, the provincial / territorial percentages were 91.8% for English only, 3.4% for French only and 4.1% for only non-official languages.
Method of Voting: paper Ballots
Voter Turnout (2012): 68.70%
Offices to be elected:
- 7 Councillors (7 Districts)
- Warden is elected by the members of council
Find Your Candidates: www.localdecisions.ca/find_your_candidates
Residential tax rate: 0.089 % (2016)
Warden’s salary: $17,000
Councillor’s salary: $12,000
- Strait Regional School Board
- Conseil scolaire acadien provinciale
- Public Works – Water Utility, Sewage, Waste Water Treatment, Waste Disposal
- Animal Services
- Protective Services – Fire Department, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) – Sherbrooke Detachment
- Recreation – Community Recreational Programs, Active Transportation
- Youth – Jumpstart program, Kidsport fund program