These learning resources were developed for grades 4 to 8. Each lesson has several activities and options available, for the ease of adapting it to your particular classroom.
Please use, modify, rearrange and choose from the suggestions as you see fit. These lessons build upon one another and have a clear flow, but they can also be used as stand-alone lessons or activities depending on your classroom needs and available time.
- Lesson 1: Voting and Elections PDF
- Slide Deck 1: Voting and Elections PowerPoint Google Slides
- Video: “Why Voting Matters” YouTube
- Video: “Student Vote Canada 2019” YouTube
- Activity 1.1: KWLH Chart – Voting PDF Word Google Doc
- Activity 1.2: Make Your Mark! PDF Word Google Doc
- Activity 1.3: Reflection Card PDF Word Google Doc
- Lesson 2: Rights and Responsibilities PDF
- Slide Deck 2: Rights and Responsibilities PowerPoint Google Slides
- Video: “The Right to Vote” YouTube
- Activity 2.1: Anticipation Guide PDF Word Google Doc
- Activity 2.1: Anticipation Guide (Answer Key) PDF
- Handout 2.2: Highlights from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms PDF
- Activity 2.3: Our Rights and Responsibilities PDF Word Google Doc