Halifax Regional Municipality
Full name: Halifax Regional Municipality
Geographic region: Halifax County
In 2011, Halifax (Regional municipality) had a population of 390,096, representing a percentage change of 4.7% from 2006. This compares to the national average growth of 5.9%.
In 2011, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over in Halifax, RGM was 13.1%, compared with a national percentage of 14.8%. The percentage of the working-age population (15 to 64) was 71.6% and the percentage of children aged 0 to 14 was 15.3%. In comparison, the national percentages were 68.5% for the population aged 15 to 64 and 16.7% for the population aged 0 to 14.
Halifax Regional Municipality occupies a land area of 5,490.28 square kilometres with a population density of 71.1 persons per square kilometre. This compares to the provincial land area of 52,939.44 square kilometres with a population density of 17.4 persons per square kilometre.
90.4% of the population reported English only as mother tongue, 2.6% reported French only, and 6.6% reported a non-official language only, in 2011. In comparison, the provincial / territorial percentages were 91.8% for English only, 3.4% for French only and 4.1% for only non-official languages.
Method of Voting: Electronic Voting (internet and telephone) and Paper Ballots
Voter Turnout (2012): 36.93%
Offices to be elected:
- Mayor (elected at-large)
- 16 Councillors (16 Districts)
Find Your Candidates: www.localdecisions.ca/find_your_candidates
HRM Candidate Q&A: studentvote.ca/nsmunicipal2016/hrm-mayoral-candidates
Total annual expenses: $916,150,000 (2015 Actuals)
Total annual revenues: $938,064,000 (2015 Actuals)
Residential tax rate: (2015-16)
- Urban General Rate – 0.669%
- Suburban General Rate – 0.636%
- Rural General Rate – 0.636%
Mayor’s salary: $168,449
Councillor’s salary: $80,849
- Halifax Regional School Board
- Conseil scolaire acadien provinciale
- Public Works: Streets, Sidewalks & Municipal Infrastructure, Water, Garbage and Recycling
- Local Infrastructure Development: Canada Games Centre, BMO Centre, Central Library
- Parks and Recreation: Community Programs and Activities, AquaticsPprograms, Summer Camps, Parks and Open Spaces
- Local Transportation
- Emergency Services: Police and Fire Department
- Sustainable Development: Solar City, Clean Land, Clean Water and Clean Energy, Livable City Forum
- Youth: Leadership Program, Adventure Earth Centre, Youth Live Program, Youth Advocate Program